Following the same work routine week after week has the tendency to become somewhat dull – come to work, make phone calls, send emails, have some lunch, and repeat. Why not break this routine by throwing a theme week? Not only will throwing a theme week at work bring some fun into the office, but it is also a great way to bring employees together for a quick break and some socialization unrelated to work.
Theme week at my office was a total success! I decided to host a ‘Soup Week’ at work which encouraged several employees to bring crockpots full of soup to share with the office all week long. My office is relatively small, so I had three co-workers sign up each day to bring in different types of delicious soups for everyone to try. We set up a buffet of soups, crackers, and dinner rolls in our conference room which allowed everyone to sit together, eat soup and have some fun!
How to Throw an Awesome Soup Week
- Choose an appropriate theme
- Send out an invite explaining the theme and of all the details – this will get your co-workers excited about Theme Week and will give them something to look forward to. It is best to send the invitation several weeks in advance so everyone can plan accordingly.
- Send out a signup sheet to help encourage everyone to participate and stay organized – http://www.signupgenius.com is a quick and easy tool to help create signup sheets!
- Send out a reminder email along with the signup sheet to the office a few day before Theme Week as a refresher.
- Gather supplies, decorate, and have a blast!
I highly encourage the idea of hosting a Theme Week at the office a few times each year. Theme Week is a great way to step out of work mode for a moment and just have some fun with your co-workers. You’ll love it, I promise!